Breast-feeding OR Formula and member feedback


Benefits of Breast-feeding:
>For baby:
> Builds a strong immune system. Protects against allergies, ear infections and illnesses during the first year.
> B-milk is easy to digest, rarely causes constipation and is filled with nutrients.
> B-milk is the prefect food, it changes in consistency based on the baby's needs. The first flow is called Colostrum, which is thick and full of nutrients.
> B-milk is naturally formulated for a baby's diet and promotes normal weight gain.

>For Mom:
> B-feeding causes the uterus to contract and return to its pre-pregnancy size more quickly.
> B-feeding can reduce stress levels and help you feel happier.
> B-feeding heals your body and builds up your immune system.

http://www.promom.org/101/

Problems faced during Breast Feeding:
> Stimulate your breasts before feeding sessions - massage the breasts.
> After baby is done feeding - use a pump to empty out the breast - that way more milk will be produced.
> Stay relaxed and calm, stress and tension affects the production of B-milk.
> Don't fret - the first 4 weeks is tough - Latching, knowing if baby is getting enough, nipples hurting... and so on.
> Your breast produce the amount of milk needed by your LO... so relax...

http://www.parents.com/baby/breastfeeding/tips/the-best-breastfeeding-positions-for-mom-and-baby-/



IHM Members Feedback on Bottles, Breast pumps, breast pads...

Gayathri
  • u can start giving formula from the day one.its better to do so,because if u start late, ur little one might refuse it also since they can very well differentiate the taste between mother's milk and formula.
  • there is no harm in giving formula. Especially in the nights if u give,it would b very filling for them and sleep well.
  • i don't prefer the can,since it u have to use it within the limited time and little expensive when compared to the powder.so u need not hesitate to give formula.u can always use it as a supplement to breast milk
Anandi M
  • When I was pregnant with my first, I thought the same about using bottles for night + travel. and BF the other times. but once the baby arrived, I BF all the time, till 12 months and then he drank from a cup. I am doing the same with my 8 month old DD.
  • My take: wait for a week or 2 after the baby arrives, the buy bottles if u think u will need them. all my bottles are just lying around....never used them.

Anita P
  • I can only tell you about my experience....
  • Since I had a c-section, it was difficult for me to sit down for breastfeeding for long durations during the first few days and the milk supply was low too.
  • Also the newborn babies are very sleepy all the time. So my daughter used to breastfeed for hardly 30 sec-1 min and then fall asleep. So I used breast pump ( the hospital gave me a medela manual breast pump). So for the first one week she was on formula and breast milk.
  • Then gradually we both got a hang of breastfeeding, it became a little easier. But i did give a feeding of formula per day esp. during the evenings when she became more cranky.
  • I also used lansinoh electric breast pump for pumping my milk whenever I fed formula to my daughter. That way I had a steady milk supply.
  • always remember do whatever is comfortable with u b'coz a happy mother will lead to a happy baby ).

Ayshu
  • In my case, I started to lactate only on 4th day after my baby is born, so until then, we gave her Similac Advance.
  • Actually, they started to feed my baby with formula at the hosp itself, as the baby has to eat something, rite...breast-milk was possible in my case only from 4thday.
  • But daily I used to try her latch on me for few mins...so that she will get used to latching when the milk comes...
  • Now, I nurse her completely, but at times, my DH wants me to give her formula too. So, nite time 1 feeding my DH feeds her with Similac while I try to get some sleep
  • But if the baby has trouble latching, do not get frustrated :-) That's the lesson learned by me...I was sooooooooo stressed, started to think that i'm not a good mother at all...but now, we both are getting used to her feeding time and sleeping time.
  • So I think I'm lil' better off now with nursing her. Take ur time to study ur baby and decide which is best for both of u
Bhavna
  • Its recommended that you start with formula after 2-3 weeks...that's after your milk supply has build up.
  • its an ongoing process. Most women don't lactate as soon as the baby is born...its takes some time. but u need to keep trying.
  • If you're planning to breastfeed, then try it first...then resort to formula...and start pumping from day one.
  • Even if nothing happens, pumping and feeding breast milk by a bottle (for bottle use) is better. but if things don't work out the way they should...u can resort to formula.
Radha
  • Medela is really good for pumping. It costs approx 130-150 bucks and usually after using it for first few months u tend to keep it aside.
  • Avent is supposed to have good quality Bottles.
  • Dr. browns is great for colic.
Bhavna Patel-Bhatt
  • I don't like Dr Browns, i think they are too tough to clean and a big headache assembling and all.
  • Avent is convenient...u get the perfect size sterilizer, pump, drying rack and very convenient to change to a sipper later on as well...so i say go with Avent BPA free!
  • The Avent Cleaning brush and formula dispenser too is great (for travel)
  • You should also get a microwave sterilizer... it is a life saver.. no hassles
  • I have tried Playtex Ventaire too.. but prefer Avent
  • Formula- don't buy. Go online and sign up for samples of Enfamil, Similanc etc. Once baby is born ask your Ped. and they will recommend and give u samples.
Shilpa Sharma
  • I have the Avent Gift Set of Feeding essentials.
  • It is mentioned on the box itself - secure the bottle and close it well to avoid Leaks. I do not face any leakage with them.
Anita
  • I have been using Dr. brown's bottles for feeding my daughter. It does help in eliminating gas.
  • My baby had lots of gas problems in the first 3-4 months.The bottles did help a lot. And the cleaning is not that tedious.
  • I too used hospital grade Ameda and from there shifted to Ameda's purely yours. I used that pump for more than 1 yr and its still great.
  • i have used Medela hospital and the pump in style...i think for the price Ameda is much better...only disadvantage is that u cant get it from the normal stores...u can always try Lansinoh...which is almost the same and made by Ameda.
  • If you are using Pumping occasionally, along with B-feeding then Avent Manual is good. I didn't like the electric one...even though its powerful... its not that comfortable and easy to use like ameda/medela.
Mallika Suresh
Evenflow and Avent

Smita Nair
  • I had brought both avent as well as Dr Brown.
  • Avent bottles do leak and my daughter had gas problems.
  • Am using Dr brown now, no complaints so far, only cleaning part takes a longer time
Shravanti
I use Avent bottles... u just have to close them really well.. they do not leak.

G
I'm using Dr Brown Bottles for my daughter, both plastic (BPA Free) and Glasss ones. I loved it...No leak what so ever and it also helped reduce colic

Shallu
I use Dr. Browns bottles... Love them.

Neha
  • I wud suggest BPA free plastic bottles with narrow necks and a slow flow nipples to start with. I bought Medella brand bottles for my infant as they can be used to pump-store and feed her too. That reduces the problem of cleaning-sterlizing
  • medella nipples are of slow flow which helps to baby to introduce with bottle and ur baby can take a wide area of these nipples inside the mouth which equally helps in lanching while u nurse her.

Sonal
  • If u are mostly breast feeding and going to use 1 or 2 bottles daily.
  • no need for sterilizer... just wash well with hot soapy water and then put in dishwasher.

Pallavi Ghondkar
I wash my daughters bottles with hot water, dish soap & using the bottle brush...That is good enough I guess...however I occasionally do boil the bottle as well..I think that sterilizes them good.

Neeli
Dr. brown's glass bottles really helped the baby against colic and bubbles so the baby doesn't swallow too many bubbles!
http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=6100

Pallavi G
I got mine from the hospital itself. It is Medela Brand - Manual. You will also get bottles from the hospital. (Just Ask)

Rupa B
i had medela intially then i bought....Lanisoh which is better.

Sheetal Shah
Medela ones are supposed to be the best, but they are pricey. Of course u can rent them too. I never seemed to like them though. I used First years both the times and I was fine with it. Moreover, pumping is a lot of work, generally wat happens is you pump till 4-6 months and then wean
I used http://www.earthmoment.com/product/10347192/the-first-years-natural-comfort-deluxe-double-breast-pump-with-soothie-bottles

Fozia
Right now i am using hospital grade breast pump (AMEDA). i rent it from the hospital and the cost of rent is $70 a month. now i am planing to buy electric pump
Finally bought - http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/Ameda_Purely_Yours_p/17070.htm

Bhavna

Breast pump (avent Isis Duo)

Breast Pads
Anandi
Gerber washable breast pads

Ayshu
I prefer disposable ones...I like Medela & Everything for Mom brands

Dee
Lanisoh disposable nursing pads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BABY SHOPPING LIST

Cribs > Bassinets > Play-yards with Member Feedback

PRENATAL VITAMINS